“Nunavut Island” Dubawnt Lake
Second stationary day due to ice and wind concerns
Distance 0 km [642km]
Portage 0 
Very Fast Water 0 
Rapids 0 
Awoke to the forecast from the weather bot of rain and unfavourable winds all day so, after some indecision, we elected to stay a second day. The rain didn’t eventuate until afternoon and then we had steady drizzle which turned into heavy rain towards evening. Several walks to a high point on the island to check out ice conditions seemed to confirm that the wind has helped shift the ice further out. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
We started the day with a delicious trout and couscous refry for breakfast which inspired John to go fishing first thing. He had no luck from the shore so we took the canoe out and he quickly got a pan sized trout, I don’t know if it is an age factor but this fish had red flesh as opposed to the orange flesh of the previous two trout. It has been damp and bitterly cold all day so again meals have been cooked and eaten in the tent. The decision to buy a tent with a large annex has certainly been vindicated. The afternoon has been spent listening to Radio Australia on John’s shortwave. I finishing reading Tyrrell’s journal and we did a lot of dozing. We tried cooking the trout with skin on this evening and it was a success as the skin peeled cleanly from the cooked fish without wastage. These fish meals just keep getting more and more delicious, I don’t think you could top tonight’s meal.